Monday, May 21, 2012

Garden Bonanza

Garden Bonanza on the Ponderosa

I know I haven't been around much this week.
This is what has been keeping me busy.

Cucumbers!



Yep...we are picking about 20-30 every other day.
I have made 16 quarts of sweet pickles.
(Recipe is on my side bar under Finger Licking Good Recipes)








I am going to tackle some dill pickles next...this will be new for me to try.

Cucumber plants


 

Next on the busy list is the Zucchini.
I have put up 16 quarts in the freezer with my food sealer.
And dehydrated a few for chips.
And we have given a ton away...and eat them with about
every meal.




 
The okra is coming along fine...and there should be okra
in the next week or so.

We have 5 types of beans planted. I saw a few blossoms this morning.




We planted 104 tomato plants. Salsa anyone?...lol
They are still green and some have just started blooming.









 
The hens have been enjoying the scraps of the garden.
And one hen...well she is celebrating .
She has been sitting for 21 days...and it has paid off.

I saw a little face yesterday...peeking out...I am a Chicken Nana....lol
There were 9 eggs there...we will see how many hatch. I am so excited!!!





 
Now for some garden humor....
 
We planted golden yellow zucchini...and green zucchini
and there was some visiting going on after dark in my garden....lol
 
 
 
 
What happens in the garden stays in the garden!!....smiles
 
I haven't forgotten our Chat around the table.
Remember our chat on buckets and their usages.
I have been using mine for soaking the pickles in lime.
For carrying the goodies from the garden.
For storing the canning stuff in the RV.
Keep collecting those buckets!!
 
I hope you are enjoying your gardens...and I wished y'all
lived closer....I have plenty of squash to share...lol
 
Hugs and squeezes....Cindy

18 comments:

  1. Hi, Cindy! I have never made pickles...but I love sweet or bread and butter. I would rather try a recipe from a True Country Woman than a magazine...so I will use yours if I ever make them. Are your cucumbers just pickling ones or can you use regular?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you. Your gardens are amazing. So glad they are doing so well.
    How is your granddaughter doing?
    So busy here but will settle down in June.
    ((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy what a wonderful garden!!! I wish I lived closer too, nothing better than a fresh, garden tomato!! Congrats Nana!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am bringing the tea. Be right there...oh how I miss these from my mamaw. Pickled okra is my absolute favorite. Enjoy every last stinking one...mmmmm....Smiles...Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh GIRL, your garden is GORGEOUS! Ours is coming along nicely too, not nearly as big as yours but will be feeding us soon! I have had one cucumber and I bet there are more out there to be picked! Enjoy your day my friend, BIG HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the smile. Your garden is sure keeping you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been very busy! I'm jealous! I wish I had the slightest idea of how to garden.. but I have no idea of what Im doing out there and it definitely shows!!
    LOL! I need a garden fairy!
    have fun!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post made me just giddy with excitement! Our garden is just planted and it will be several more weeks until we reap the benefits.. with the exception on radishes, lettuce, spinach and broccoli that we are getting now.

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What an exciting post! I would love to make dill pickles. Your garden is so amazing. Salsa sounds yummy. And that zucchini is crazy and so pretty! I didn't know that could happen! I love the baby chick, and can't wait to see pictures again of these babies. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful things!
    Bless you,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cindy,
    Hold on to some of this canned joy..,...I will for sure come to see you when I come to see Chris!!!! How exciting that you are only an hour from him!!!! I have to wait a while it has only been 7 days....lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. 104 tomato plants??!! wow. i love homemade pickles :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! What a bounty! You should open up a veggie stand! Those pickles look mighty yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love homemade pickles! Man! You sure have yer hands full, Miss Cindy! Wish I had room to grow a veggie garden. Our family garden was wonderful when my grandparents had one on their property.

    much love,
    becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cindy, I so wish I had you near to teach me gardening and canning. As my husband nears retirement, our "Gentleman's Garden" is expanding. Always, always enjoy hearing from you! E

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yum! the kids and i made sun pickles a few days ago...they were great!
    hope you're doing well cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss you. I know that gaarden is keeping you busy but I still miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mouth is watering! Your pickles look so delicious! Summertime is such a great time of year for fresh produce...I just love your post!
    Have a great weekend,
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweetie,
    Are you OK? It has been two months since we have heard from you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I do... love to hear from my Girfriends!! All comments are welcomed.. whether sugar and spiced or with some hot sauce on them..lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails